On my last job, I received a very interesting text from my client the night after her event. This is what she said: "What kind of magic did you use on my eye shadow? It never creased! I even slept in it and it was still not creased in the morning. What's your secret?"
Well, I had great news for her and for you! Putting on eye shadow that won't crease and looks flawless really isn't difficult at all. You just have to find the right technique that suits your personal style, and know a few secret tricks to make it flawless. ;)
Check out these tips!
1. Apply a base coat to your eye lids just as you do to the rest of your face. I usually start with some kind of shadow insurance, or eye primer. Then layer on loose power (the same shade as your skin) or your base shadow. Starting with a nice even palette will help your other shadows to glide on more evenly and the colors will be more vibrant.
2. Blend, blend, and then blend some more. I can't stress this enough. Try an experiment. Blend one eye and then just use a brush and apply the other eye. You'll instantly know what I'm talking about and you'll never forget to blend again.
3. If you want dramatic eyes, take your eye shadow brush, dip it into water, and then into the shadow before you apply. It will give you a much deeper, concentrated color.
4. If you have brown eyes, wear champagne, copper, brown, apricot, khaki, and beige shades. Bolder colors include royal blue, tangerine, and hot pink.
5. If you have green eyes, wear purple, plum, forest green, brown, and khaki shades. Funky colors include light green, gold, and bright purple.
6. Go easy on the under eye liner. Thicker lines under the eye draws it downward and can make you look older and overdone.
| Want more makeup Artist eye tips? Check out this post on how to apply concealer.
7. If you have blue eyes, eye shadows in purple, violet, taupe, gray, deep blue, and black shades will accentuate your eyes. For a more dramatic look try turquoise, fuchsia, or gold.
8. Apply a lighter shadow in the inner corner of the eye to reflect light and make your eyes look younger.
9. If you want your eyes to appear larger, use a light color on the inner corner, and a darker shade in the middle of the eye area.
10. Highlight along the brow bone. Doing it this way will make your features stand out naturally and beautifully.
11. Apply your dark shadow only to the eyelids from the lash line to the crease in the eyelid. Apply your medium shadow from just below the eyelid crease to the brow bone.
12. Practice until you get the application of your eye shadow down to a science. When you get good, your make up will look more natural and more polished.
So there you have it. With these top tips you now know how to apply your eye shadow like a pro. Remember that while you're practicing all these eye shadow application steps, that you should take notice of what works best for you. There are a gazillion ways to apply eye shadow and what works best for you is the best way to do it!
So go for it and get gorgeous :)
Check out some of my favorite eye products!
While MANY of the products I recommend are #crueltyfree, some of these products are not.
I’m an affiliate of Amazon, so if you use my link, I’ll get a small bonus to help keep this blog rolling. As always, I only recommend or mention things I believe in - Products I use personally or on my clients - and whether some legal authority requires it or not, it’s important to me to have integrity because I work hard to find products that work for myself and my audience!